At the end (or beginning) of each month, you send an invoice to each of your customers. A few days after receiving it, they will send you your due. Which brings me to the question: what billing software do you use?
- What is a bill?
- How to issue an invoice
- Using Simple Invoice
- Advantages of using billing software
- Why do you have to make out a bill?
What is a bill?
It's a document you send to your client. Its purpose is to certify that you have performed a service for your client and that he or she owes you money. Without a bill, they may forget to pay you.
In order for an invoice to have its power, you have to insert all the necessary information, that is to say:
- Invoice number: It is chronological and thus meets a certain standard. None of your invoices should have the same numbers. No jumping of numbers is allowed either.
- The date of issue : You must specify in the invoice when the service is to be performed. If for some, it is sent as soon as the service is completed, for others, they wait a few days. In fact, it all depends on you and your client.
- Your identity: your name, your address, your SIREN number.
- Your client's identity:
In the case of an individual, only his or her name and address are required.
However, with a professional, you must also include his or her SIREN number.
- The invoice must also be detailed, and thus, include the purpose of the service (its name, the surcharges applied if any, reductions, the delivery date ...).
- The total amount
- Your bank details (if you choose this method of payment)
Since I am talking mainly about invoices in the professional context, I prefer to stress this last point. Remember:
- the date or time of payment
- the method of payment
- discount terms
- late fees
- the lump sum compensation
How to create an invoice: an invoicing software, perhaps?
There are several ways to issue an invoice. I know several that use simple software such as Word and Excel. But did you know that invoicing software is more practical?
There are many, but I'll tell you about one of them, the one I use: simpleinvoice.com.
It automatically reminds me of everything related to my company's accounting. I no longer have problems with my various subscriptions (hosting, domain name, etc.). Maybe you too manage several clients (several projects and several websites) at the same time. In that case, I strongly advise you to use Simple Invoice.
Plus, it's "almost" free. This billing software is available at a very affordable price.
It also stands out for its simplicity. In fact, you can see it by name. Of course, it is in English, but I am sure you will do very well. An explanatory video is also available on their platform to help you better understand!
How to use a billing software: the case of simpleinvoice.com
As with any other billing software, you obviously start by creating an account. Then, you will have access to a dashboard. From this dashboard, you will be able to import your customers, see the different statistics and much more.
If you have regular customers, why not offer them to join Simple Invoice. A "repeat customer" option exists. As far as payment security is concerned, you don't have to worry about it (or even your customers). Indeed, Simple Invoice is linked to Stripe and Paypal, two secure payment platforms.
Once you have set up your invoice on this billing software, all you have to do is choose between :
- send it by mail
- send it in dematerialized format
But as we are freelance, I am sure that this second option is the right one.
The advantage of software and platforms dedicated to invoicing
- For one, you save a lot of time using billing software. Everything is actually done automatically. For example, you don't have to copy and paste all the information that needs to be included in an invoice every time you issue one. The same goes for the layout, you only have to insert your logo once, so you don't have to do the same thing every other time.
- Two, your AC is calculated automatically. You'll immediately have an overview of all your earnings for the year from a single dashboard.
- It's true that not all billing platforms offer this option, but you will be able to track the collection of your earnings on some of them (the date of payment of the bill, the bills due, those overdue ...).
- Using Simple Invoice is also an opportunity for you to show your clients that you are a professional. Since you use a billing software for professionals, it proves without a doubt that you are one too!
There is a Youtube video in which I describe this at the bottom of the article. Support me by subscting to the YouTube channel "Happy Desk Design"
Why do you have to make out a bill?
Without an invoice, you'll have a hard time keeping track of your company's accounts. That's why every time you sell a service (or product), this step is mandatory (especially in the professional context). But then, what about individuals?
Maybe you don't have a legal structure yet? To appear professional, I advise you to create a car company. Alternatively, you can establish a contract of employment with your client. Another alternative is also to go through a salary portage company.
Invoicing is a mandatory step. However, if you have several clients and projects to manage, it can become a real chore. Hence the need to use automatic billing software such as simpleinvoice.com.
YouTube: Freelance Billing Software Simple and Efficient - 2020
Come back to this page whenever you want. Did you come up with any ideas I might have forgotten? If so, what are they? Leave a comment below or send an email to email@example.com.